SAGE Academy is authorized by Novation Education Opportunities (NEO), a charitable nonprofit organization focused on the development of innovative instructional delivery and school governance models through the sponsorship of public charter schools.
3432 Denmark Ave, Ste 130
Eagan, MN 55123
SAGE is a part of the EdVisions Cooperative. This means:
Small Learning Community: How do we connect with young people in a democratic learning community?
- Small learning communities of 150 students or less.
- Highly personalized setting; every student treated as an individual – No Child Left UnknownI
- Positive, caring relationships; respect and responsibility modeled and practiced
- Multiage fulltime advisories in place; advisors fully responsible for no more than 20 students.
- Mentoring available to all students
- Restorative justice practiced.
- Parents and community at large actively engage with students to support learning
- Democratic student government supports active engagement in decision making process
- Student experience value of citizenship as they contribute to greater community.
Self-directed Project-based Learning: How do we facilitate the work of youth as self directed producers and learners?
- Self-directed, project-based learning primary focus; driven by constructivist pedagogy
- Personalized Learning Plan (PLP) for all students emphasizing student needs and interests
- Personalized workspace for each student with Internet access
- Technology-infused environment; technology used as tool
- Individual/group projects complemented by multiple teaching and learning approaches based on student needs and interests
- Achievement demonstrated publicly; highest work place standards are quality goal
- All students prepared for post-secondary education, workplace, and active citizenship
- All students and staff engage in quiet reading every day
Authentic Assessment: How do we know that we are achieving our intended results?
- Plan for how projects will be assessed by more than one adult, with opportunities for students to improve products to meet quality standards.
- Demonstrated achievement, with plan for public presentations including community involvement
- Electronic standards tracking/reporting system and electronic student portfolios
- Standardized testing; results inform Personalized Learning Plans (PLPs) and continuous improvement
- Value-added measures including assessment of life skills and results from Hope Study enhance PLPs and continuous improvement
- Post-secondary plans for all students beginning at ninth grade
- Graduation includes standards met as well as project credits, life skills gained, and a senior project
Teacher-Ownership/Democratic Governance: How do we engage “Teachers as Owners” of a democratic learning community?
- Automous school management with control over budge and staffing; individual responsibility and accountability for school finance and educational success
- Teacher model ownership and demonstrate democratic leadership; inspire students, parents and community to take ownership and actively engage in decision making; incorporate consensus model
- Teachers evaluations by peers, students and parents; performance-based pay, at-will employment (if applicable)
- Evaluations inform individual Professional Development Plans; focus on self and school improvement
- Coaching/mentoring plan for incorporation of new members and continuous improvement
PO Box 601
Henderson, MN 56044